ARTISTIC DIRECTOR/Creative Producer/Composer
CHRISTIAN DE GRE
Originally from Mexico City, Christian De Gré has served as President & Artistic Director of Mind The Art Entertainment over the last ten years. Here he has spear-headed numerous international projects in film, theater, television, music, publishing, web-media, fine-art and radio such Fatty Fatty No Friends (2016 Innovative Theater Award Nominations for Best Music and Best Musical), Beware The Chupacabra! (FringeFAVE 2015), Whiskey Pants: The Mayor of Williamsburg (Audience Favorite at FRIGID New York 2015) and Broken Crayons (Golden Palm at the Mexico International Film Festival). A self-taught composer, Christian De Gré has written and produced 22 original musicals/operettas in New York City at world renowned venues like HERE Arts Center, Feinstein's/54 Below and La MaMa E.T.C. He has been commissioned to write music for The Discovery Channel, The Drama Desk Awards, The United Nations and The Mexican Cultural Institute of New York, among others. De Gré has trained activists in Eastern Europe, Northern Africa and the Americas as the Theater for Social Change Partner of the United Nations International Y-Peer Network and as a performer, he has been in various productions around the world. Other projects include fine art exhibitor at the 69th Regiment Armory (Time-Out New York: Photo of the week) and published poet in Story Time with Mr. Buttermen: Fables for Adults Living in a Modern World. Having served as General Manager of the New York International Fringe Festival and as Artistic Director of Mind The Art Entertainment he has overseen the opening of over 1,000 new theatrical productions in New York City.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- CTI) Commercial Theater Institute Alumni - 2017
- Resident Songwriter in Concert at Feinstein's/54 Below- 2016 & 2017
- Mastermind Member at Davenport Theatricals- 2016 & 2017
- Two time New York Innovative Theater Award Nominee- 2016
- Show Score Ranked #2 show in Critic's Picks between Hamilton and Fun Home- 2015
- Theasy Best Bet best of the fall season mention- 2015
- Manhattan With a Twist best of the season winner- 2015
- Audience Favorite Award & Sold Out Award Winner at FRIGID New York - 2015
- FringeFAVE Winner for The Lynn Redgrave Theater - 2015
- Two Fringe Encore Series Selections at Soho Playhouse - 2014 & 2015
- Time-Out New York Critic's Pick- 2014
- Producer of two FringeNYC Excellence Award Winning Shows - 2010 & 2014
- Resident Artist at La MaMa Experimental Theater Club - 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2014
- Most Promising Artist by The Mexican Cultural Institute of New York - 2010 & 2012
- Photo of the Week by Time-Out New York - 2012
- Exhibited at the Armory Show as a fine artist- 2012
- Published Poet in Story Time with Mr. Buttermen- 2011
- United Nations Y-Peer Socio-Political Theater Partner & Trainer in NYC, Tunisia & Bulgaria- 2009, 2010 & 2011
- New Musical Development Award by Lark Play Development Center- 2011
- Opening Production at the La MaMa Puppet Series- 2010
- Golden Palm Winner at The Mexico International Film Festival- 2010
- Producer of the Drama Desk Awards Reception at Lincoln Center- 2010
- Artist of the Year by Mind The Art Entertainment- 2010
- Graduate from The American Academy of Dramatic Arts- 2006
- Best Artist by The Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce- 2004
Favorably reviewed and featured as an artist by these major publications: The New York Times, The Huffington Post, The New York Post, New York Magazine, Theater That Matters, NBC, New York Daily News, Broadway World, Time-Out New York, Backstage, Manhattan with a Twist, The Wall Street Journal, Off The Beaten Track Theater, Ottawa On Stage, New York Radio, FlavorPill, Charged.Fm, IndieTheaterNow, Theater is Easy, The Examiner, Passport Magazine, NY Theater, Manhattan Times, Theater Mania, Playbill, The Happiest Medium, BradTV, Joonbug Magazine, TDF Stages, Talkin’ Broadway, Show Business Weekly and NY Press.
FOR MORE THEATRICAL CREDITS PLEASE VISIT:
What is fringenyc?
The New York International Fringe Festival (FringeNYC) is the largest multi-arts festival in North America, with more than 200 companies (around 4,000 artists) performing 1200 performances from all over the world for 16 days in 20 venues. FringeNYC is a production of the Present Theater Company under the guidance of Elena K. Holy, Producing Artistic Director, and Christian De Gré, General Manager/Festival Operations. FringeNYC celebrated its 20th Anniversary August 12th - 28th, 2016.
WHAT IS Mind the art entertainment?
Mind The Art Entertainment was founded in New York City on March 7th, 2007 by four multi-disciplinary artists under a principle put forth by our first Artistic Director, Christian De Gré. The principle was that "Art must remain a collaborative and ever evolving medium." The idea was grounded in a commitment that as artists we must cease complaining about the difficulties posed by our industry but instead work together to self-produce original work.
Now in its 10th acclaimed season, MTAENY has partnered with renowned organizations like The Discovery Channel, The La MaMa Experimental Theater Club and The Mexican Cultural Institute of New York.
We have been honored by a multitude of awards including three New York Innovative Theater Award Nominations, three FRIGID New York Awards, two FringeNYC Overall Excellence Awards, two Encores Picks at Soho Playhouse, a Best Play Summer Festival Citation, a Theasy Best Bet, two Show Score Critic's Pick, a Time Out New York Critic's Pick and The Golden Palm at the Mexico International Film Festival.
We have received acclaimed reviews from major trade papers such as The Wall Street Journal, The Villager, The New York Post, The Huffington Post and Time Out New York.
Mind The Art Entertainment was the official host of the 55th Annual Drama Desk Awards Reception at Lincoln Center, was a company in residence at The Club at La MaMa E.T.C. for 5 years, and produces regularly at Feinstein's/54 Below and HERE Arts Center in New York City.
Since March 2007 Mind The Art Entertainment has produced over 80 original projects in 16 different art forms under the Artistic Direction of Christian De Gré and in collaboration with over 1000 international artists.