ARTISTIC DIRECTOR/Creative Producer/Composer
CHRISTIAN DE GRE
Originally from Mexico City, Christian De Gré has served as President & Artistic Director of Mind The Art Entertainment over the last 10 years. Here he has spear-headed numerous international projects in film, theater, television, music, publishing, web-media, fine-art and radio such as the film Broken Crayons(Golden Palm at the Mexico International Film Festival) and the critically acclaimed theatrical productions of The Timing of a Day and Die: Roll to Proceed. A self-taught composer, Christian De Gré has written and produced 22 musicals/operettas in New York City including the award winning Fatty Fatty No Friends (2016 Innovative Theater Award Nominations for Best Music and Best Musical), Beware The Chupacabra!(FringeFAVE 2015) and Whiskey Pants: The Mayor of Williamsburg (Audience Favorite at FRIGID New York 2015.) De Gré has trained activists in Eastern Europe, Northern Africa and the Americas as the Theater for Social Change Partner of the United Nations International Y-Peer Network and as a performer, he has been in various productions around the world. As a composer he has been commissioned to write music for The Discovery Channel, 54 Below, The Possibility Project, The TE'A Project, The United Nations, The Directors Company and La MaMa E.T.C. De Gré has worked alongside and in collaboration with The Drama Desk Awards, FringeNYC, Blume Media Group, Fountain Art Fair, STAR, Cayman 27, City at Peace, Rising Art and The Mexican Cultural Institute of New York, among others. Other projects include fine art exhibitor at the 69th Regiment Armory (Time-Out New York: Photo of the week) and published poet in Story Time with Mr. Buttermen: Fables for Adults Living in a Modern World. While becoming The New York International Fringe Festival’s first ever General Manager, De Gré is currently premiering two new operas, two song cycles and a musical this season.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- CTI) Commercial Theater Institute Alumni - 2017
- Resident Songwriter in Concert at Feinstein's/54 Below- 2016 & 2017
- Mastermind Member at Davenport Theatricals- 2016 & 2017
- Two time New York Innovative Theater Award Nominee- 2016
- Show Score Ranked #2 show in Critic's Picks between Hamilton and Fun Home- 2015
- Theasy Best Bet best of the fall season mention- 2015
- Manhattan With a Twist best of the season winner- 2015
- Audience Favorite Award & Sold Out Award Winner at FRIGID New York - 2015
- FringeFAVE Winner for The Lynn Redgrave Theater - 2015
- Two Fringe Encore Series Selections at Soho Playhouse - 2014 & 2015
- Time-Out New York Critic's Pick- 2014
- Producer of two FringeNYC Excellence Award Winning Shows - 2010 & 2014
- Resident Artist at La MaMa Experimental Theater Club - 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2014
- Most Promising Artist by The Mexican Cultural Institute of New York - 2010 & 2012
- Photo of the Week by Time-Out New York - 2012
- Exhibited at the Armory Show as a fine artist- 2012
- Published Poet in Story Time with Mr. Buttermen- 2011
- United Nations Y-Peer Socio-Political Theater Partner & Trainer in NYC, Tunisia & Bulgaria- 2009, 2010 & 2011
- Opening Production at the La MaMa Puppet Series- 2010
- New Musical Development Award by Lark Play Development Center- 2011
- Golden Palm Winner at The Mexico International Film Festival- 2010
- Producer of the Drama Desk Awards Reception at Lincoln Center- 2010
- Artist of the Year by Mind The Art Entertainment- 2010
- Graduate from The American Academy of Dramatic Arts- 2006
- Best Artist by The Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce- 2004
Favorably reviewed and featured as an artist by these major publications: The New York Times, The Huffington Post, The New York Post, New York Magazine, Theater That Matters, NBC, New York Daily News, Broadway World, Time-Out New York, Backstage, Manhattan with a Twist, The Wall Street Journal, Off The Beaten Track Theater, Ottawa On Stage, New York Radio, FlavorPill, Charged.Fm, IndieTheaterNow, Theater is Easy, The Examiner, Passport Magazine, NY Theater, Manhattan Times, Theater Mania, Playbill, The Happiest Medium, BradTV, Joonbug Magazine, TDF Stages, Talkin’ Broadway, Show Business Weekly and NY Press.
FOR MORE THEATRICAL CREDITS PLEASE VISIT:
What is fringenyc?
The New York International Fringe Festival (FringeNYC) is the largest multi-arts festival in North America, with more than 200 companies (around 4,000 artists) performing 1200 performances from all over the world for 16 days in 20 venues. FringeNYC is a production of the Present Theater Company which has only two full time employees, Elena K. Holy, Producing Artistic Director, and Christian De Gré, General Manager/Festival Operations. FringeNYC will celebrate its 20th Anniversary August 12th - 28th, 2016.
WHAT IS Mind the art entertainment?
Mind The Art Entertainment was founded in New York City on March 7th, 2007 by four multi-disciplinary artists under a principle put forth by our first Artistic Director, Christian De Gré. The principle was that "Art must remain a collaborative and ever evolving medium." The idea was grounded in a commitment that as artists we must cease complaining about the difficulties posed by our industry but instead work together to self-produce original work.
Now in its 8th acclaimed season, MTAENY has partnered with renowned organizations like The Discovery Channel, The La MaMa Experimental Theater Club and The Mexican Cultural Institute of New York.
We have been honored by a multitude of awards including Audience Favorite at FRIGID, two FringeNYC Overall Excellence Awards, two Encores Picks at Soho Playhouse, a Best Play Summer Festival Citation, a Huffington Post Best of the Year, a Theasy Best Bet, a Show Score Critic's Pick, a number of Time Out New York Critic's Pick and The Golden Palm at the Mexico International Film Festival.
We have received acclaimed reviews from major trade papers such as The New York Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Villager, The Huffington Post and Time Out New York.
Mind The Art Entertainment was the official host of the 55th Annual Drama Desk Awards Reception at Lincoln Center and is a company in residence at The Club at La MaMa E.T.C.
Since March 2007 Mind The Art Entertainment has produced over 70 original projects in 16 different art forms under the Artistic Direction of Christian De Gré and in collaboration with over 700 international artists.